The computer guru is OUT

I can check my email..

I can update facebook..

I can even blog (look I even do it sometimes)

but really that is pretty much where my expertise ends...

However I live in a world of delusion, where I convince myself that things that are generally too hard for me to tackle, are actually easy, a world where I'm pretty sure I should have a magic wand a tiara and a little baggy of fairy dust.. but I digress...

Generally speaking I go randomly plunging through the internet; downloading, excepting, clicking, on whatever pops up without usually reading things thoroughly.  Then my fabulous husband will swoop in a get rid of all the computer viruses and other random bad things I do to our computer on a daily basis.

Well currently Daniel is out to sea, so when the kids came to me a month ago and said "it's not working right, nothing is loading, the internet is not working"...  I said "let me call someone to fix it".... NOooooooooooooo of course not, I said.. "I got this".

So I clicked, I loaded, I downloaded, uploaded, reloaded, installed, uninstalled, and then it happened... I inadvertently reformatted the hard drive.. WHICH for those of you playing the home game, is NOT a good idea, well it's not a good idea if you actually have any sort of attachment to ANYTHING you have EVER put on your computer. I suppose the silver lining there is that due to my "brain cloud" I couldn't really remember what I had on the computer, so I haven't missed it yet :) but I digress (again)

So it turns out when you reformat your hardrive it deletes EVERYTHING off of your computer. EVERY THING!!  ALL things GONE.  So then I had just this box, that glowed, that had no programs on it.. sooo I figured... I could use all the CDs that came with my laptop and load everything back on my desktop computer, well that sorta worked, except Windows XP is sorta picky, and apparently you can only ever load the same copy on any one specific computer. SOOOOO while the CD for my laptop DID put windows on the PC, it apparently was only good for 30 days. Today was day 30. While Connor was playing W.O.W (which works absolutely fabulously now that I "fixed" the computer, thank you very much! :) See silver lining!) the computer popped up a screen that said "HEY YOU HAVE TO REGISTER WINDOWS DINKUS" (or something to that effect. Now I have NO clue where the original Windows XP cd is, Daniel built our PC years ago, and well I am really good at losing stuff, and I was racking my brain trying to think of where I may have put it, because unless I find it, I once again have merely a glowing box.
THINK

THINK

THINK

"where oh where would I have put that CD"... *looks down* staring blankly at glowing PC screen, suddenly notices the big white sticker that my very brilliant husband put on the side of the monitor as well as the top of the pc tower, WITH the windows XP key.. ummm duhh!!  SO I have been staring at it all month, while trying to figure out how to find out what the XP key is.. I know, I know, I'm a genius..

I think tomorrow, I'm going to try to fix Daniel's car.. I mean how hard can it be??

Comments

Thany said…
As long as you don't end up with any extra parts, I say you go for it!

Popular posts from this blog

Because we are military wives

parental poll

Marco!!