Parenting

I know most of you think I'm an open book, and mostly I am. There are a few topics however that I only broach with very few. Politics, I believe what I believe and that's good enough for me. My volunteerism.. Not sure why, but I never feel the need to discuss how many hours I put in where doing what.. Ok that ones a little weird... The other one that I keep close to the cuff is parenting. Not because I think I'm doing a better or worse job than anyone else, but because I respect all my friends and family and how they parent.

I recently joined a Facebook parenting group.. The funny thing is I had quit a military mamas group because of the drama.. Turns out civilian mamas are just as crazy or crazier. :) We are all on the same team kids! Respect give a bit, you'll get a bit.

As I enter into the newest chapter of parenting the one where I'm the parent of an adult, I've done a lot of thinking about where I've been and where I'm going.

1. I am totally ok being THAT parent. I embrace it actually. I'm sappy, I'm sentimental and I'm willing to go to the mat for my kids no matter if they're 2 or 20. I love that about me.

2. I don't spank my kids. Never will. (Well they are all almost bigger than me now, but still..) I don't believe in it, and my kids aren't spoiled or bratty. They just don't get punished in that way, no they aren't perfect.. But they are a pretty good group.

3. I don't punish for grades IF you're really trying. If you're slacking off and not turning stuff in.. Then it's on!!!!

4. My goal is to be my kids parent not their friend, but I'm glad it's turning out to be both.

5. I make mistakes.. All. The. Time. I hopefully learn from them so as to not repeat them.

6. I'm a horrible housekeeper.. But a really good mom and wife.. Hopefully that cancels it out.

7. I'm not sad that Connor is graduating or that Garrett is promoting to 6th. I'm so proud of them and who they are becoming. I do mourn the loss of being a mom to little kids. I miss it and am now finding my new identity.

8. The one thing I have zero tolerance for is bullying. I know what it's like to be chosen last and left out and treated unkind in school.. I'll be damned if my kid makes anyone ever feel that way.

9. I love these 4 amazing people always, even when they want nothing to do with me.


So that's me and in a nutshell how I run my ship. I'm not saying it's the best way or the right way, it's our way and it works for us. :)

Love who you are and always do what's right for YOUR family, but be open and accepting that we are all different and the same.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Because we are military wives

parental poll

Marco!!