Open letter to my Tanner-Paul and other random brain vomit

Graduation has come and gone. I’ve been a complete cyclone of emotion... fear, anxiety, disappointment, offense, heart break, anger, and unbelievable joy..and that’s just since Monday. As my sweet boy transitions into his next phase of life so many thoughts and fears and hopes and dreams have swirled in my head.
I wish more people knew Tanner like I know him. He is a disheveled pile of hair and shyness to most, but for those fortunate enough to get close to him, he is so much more. He challenges me, he leaves me speechless, like literally... I can’t even count the amount of times I’ve been arguing a point with him and he throws some logic bomb at me and I don’t even know how to respond.  I’m not sure I’ve met anyone with his type of wit and brilliance.

So here are a few of  my thoughts....

My sweet Tanner Paul,

I don’t think I could ever adequately put into words how proud I am of you. As I sit down to write this, I’m trying to think what advice, what wisdom I could impart to you,  I am reminded of all the life lessons that you’ve already taught me, and I hope you know how incredibly wise, thoughtful and kind you are.
You’ve taught me that everyone’s path is their own. I know I try to pull too much, but I also know that you’ll find where you belong and it’s yours to find, not mine.

Don’t compromise, and don’t change your standards to fit what anyone else thinks you should be. (Even your mom)
Don’t hold grudges (which I know you don’t), but also don’t allow toxic people to keep coming back into your life either.
Every choice creates a ripple effect, make good ones.
When someone shows you that they don’t want to be part of your life, let them go. I spent too many years fighting for people who didn’t want to be fought for.

Travel
Spend your money on experiences instead of stuff
Save part of every paycheck even if it’s 5$

Never miss an opportunity to learn something new.
Listen
Be present
Unplug
Explore

Stay close to your siblings
Call your mom

Always own a pet... seriously, it will do more for your mental health than anything else
Help strangers
Never believe your own hype

I love you

Mom


Shout out to all the graduates
Those with 4.0’s
Those with 2.0’s
Those who play sports
Those who play video games
Those who are college bound
Those who don’t want to go to college
Those who get married at 18
Those who will wait or not do it at all
Those who go in the military
Those who still have no idea what their doing
You did it!
You’re awesome!
You’re going to be great!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Because we are military wives

parental poll

Marco!!